Monday, January 5, 2015

SmArt school #5

 This was the art director assignment. I chose to work on Karen Berger's spec Vertigo Comics cover assignment. She asked for a half angel half demon with a man (in jeans and a T-shirt) in a moonlit graveyard. So here are my thumbs. Rebecca wanted me to rework the composition on the one in the colored box. She talked with me about ways to do it.


So I came back with this revised rough drawing and I got the go-ahead.


I made my frankensteined reference.


My final drawing that needed a few slight adjustments before moving on...


My value study.


I chose the end top right of the color studies...



When I showed my finished piece to the Art director, I had mostly positive feedback. I needed to darken the man's hair and clothes for contrast. Adjust the value of the angel/demon's hair and obscure the lower of her feet (the one behind the man's hand) behind sheer fabric so the area wouldn't look so busy. Below is the finished painting with the changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...